After the Dow Jones Industrial dropped almost 16% from July 27 to August 10, some kind of consolidation pattern ought to form; a triangle continuation pattern appears to be in the way right now in the markets.
Look closely at the Dow Jones next week, if this proposed triangle forms, the end will be near the last part of the week. A break below the lower ascending line would confirm the conclusion of the formation, some times a return move takes the price to the lower line, sometimes a return move does not occur, after the breaking of the line the next stop for the Dow is 10,250.
Sunday, August 14, 2011
Elliot Rules, guidelines and interpretation
Two of the motive waves in a 5 waves impulse tend toward equality in time and magnitude, also wave 3 is never the shortest. Let’s see how these guidelines conform to this count.
Wave 1 from 12,724.41 to 11,866.62, 857.79 Dow points, 6.74% drop in 9 trading days.
Wave 2 up to 11,896.44 hum?
Wave 3 from 11,896.44 to 10,719.94, 1,176.50 Dow points, 9.89%, in 5 trading days.
Wave 5 should be equal to wave 1 or a 0.618 relationship, resulting in 857 or 529 points.
Sub Waves (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
(1) from 11,896.44 to 11,383.68, 512.76 points, 4.31%
(2) to 11,444.61 retraced 11.88%
(3) from 11,444,61 to 10,809.85, 634.76 points, 5.55%
(4) to 11,239.77, retraced 68% of (3)
(5) from 11,239.77 to 10,719.94, 519.83 points, 4.62%
Total sub wave move from 11,896.44 to 10,719.84 is 1,176.60 points or 9.89% from 0, the 0.618 golden division is at 6.11% or a level of 11,169.57, very near wave 4 (less than 1%).
So if this wave count is correct we are in wave 4, let’s see where it takes us, it can be a straight up line but most possibly wave 4 will be a triangle that always occurs in wave 4.
The 15.75% drop in the Dow in 14 days should warn us that the market will take some time to consolidate.
- ► 2013 (13)
- ► 2012 (48)
- ▼ 2011 (29)
- ► 2010 (24)
- Erick Stern
- I am a civil engineer who likes charts, to me, speculating in the markets is both a hobby and a second profession and in my view the stock market is the most honest environment, since it is only your knowledge and preparation that matters. I live, and work in the construction industry, in the Dominican Republic. I read and answer all my mail so please feel free to write email@example.com Thanks, Erick